Big Boys Toys is known for shiny supercars, but this year there will be almost as much damage as there is polish!
Big Boys Toys returns to ASB Showgrounds this weekend, 10th – 12th November with a heap of new features, not least of which is Tower Cranes NZ dropping cars to from 50m high to demonstrate the damage that can be caused by speed.
And while the rare $10million LaFerrari Aperta takes centre stage in the Driven Hall, the crowd will be lining up to test drive one of a fleet of Electric Vehicles (EVs) including brand new Teslas that will be available for trial from ‘Leading the Charge’.
And those that want death defying stunts can watch Kiwi FMX legends, Nick Franklin and Caleb Delacy flip and whip motorcycles in The Milwaukee Action Arena, or they can try their own stunts in virtual reality in the AR Jet Fighter Simulator.
Show director Dean Wilson says that there are more great and innovative features in the show this year than he can remember in its 18 year history.
“We’ve got the amazing cars, the shiny classics, bikes, jetskis and gadgets,” says Dean, “but this is the first time we’ve been smashing cars as well!
“We’ve got a heap of Virtual Reality installations in the AR and VR Zone that will thrill our visitors in ways they’ve never experienced before.”
“And a stunning new huge ‘Construction Zone’ showcasing the big machinery from the construction industry in an interactive format, with competitions, demonstrations and the opportunity for young and old to get behind the controls of some of the diggers.
Dean says he never would have expected Electric Vehicles to take centre stage at Big Boys Toys when he first got involved with the show, but this year they’re becoming a growing attraction.
“All the feedback we’re getting is that people are really interested in EVs and want to be able to see what an electric vehicle is like to drive” says Dean.
“So we’ve got a bunch of cars including Tesla, Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Ioniq to trial across the three days of the show.”
‘The world of music’ takes an alternative approach to live music, with the listeners wearing headphones in a silent concert arranged by Mike Chunn of Play it Strange.
And if you’re after bigger sound, it doesn’t come larger than the Mega Speaker from Back to the Future, a stunning, perfect replica of the Back to the Future movie prop that became legend. (See the actual movie footage here). Hear it first at BBT!
The Milwaukee Action Arena will again be a key feature bringing together New Zealand’s top extreme sport athletes for three days of breath-taking shows at Big Boys Toys this year!
Freestyle Motocross features Kiwi FMX legends - Nick Franklin and Caleb Delacy along with 15 year old FMX star, Carlos Hanlon, the youngest NZer to land a back-flip to dirt!
An 8m high mega-ramp will propel the country’s top stunt BMX riders into the air, headlined by the first man in the world to land a quad-flip on a BMX, Jed Mildon, supported by BMX superstars Jaden Leeming, Billy Clerk and Hamish Burrow.
Closer to the grandstand will be the Freestyle BMX led by Nitro Circus rider – Paul Langlands along with Hugh Wotherspoon, Lewis Clark and Nico Groenedijk.
And incredible Stunt Rider Kingi Walters is bringing his Harley Davidson this year, the only kiwi stunt riding these amazing machines.
Skateboarding returns to Big Boys Toys this year with the Hyper Ride skate team showing off their skills in a huge half-pipe.
Says exhibition director Dean Wilson, “Big Boys Toys is a guaranteed great day out for the entire family! For everyone who loves cars, machines or gadgets – to own, or simply to dream, it’s all here!”
Big Boys Toys runs from Friday 10th November to Sunday 12th November, 10:00am – 6:00pm at ASB Showgrounds.
For more show information and tickets, head to www.bigboystoys.co.nz
2017 Auckland BBT Highlights:
• The Driven Hall will feature classic cars to super cars, motorcycles to marine craft. See the latest and greatest from Ferrari, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, SRT, RAM, Telsa
• An incredible 2017 Supercar – the LaFerrari Aperta, one of only 200 in the world
• A new Music Zone featuring incredible new instruments, interactive displays, old school vinyl, musicians and more!
• The Mega Speaker from the first scene of Back to the Future (only one in the world)
• The launch of the Manta 5 Hydrofoil Bike
• A chance to drive an electric car with Leading the Charge.
• Virtual Reality is coming to Big Boys Toys with the a VR Experience Zone, and VR Fighter Jet Simulators
• The CCNZ Construction Zone will showcase the big machinery from the construction industry in an interactive format.
• The Milwaukee Action Arena will feature NZ’s best extreme sport athletes
• The Garage @Big Boys Toys will feature the ‘Best of Repco Beach Hop’, interactive displays, and an array of tools
• The Automania Showcase will feature an array of vehicles ranging from race cars to street cars, D1NZ to super saloons, exotics to off roaders.